So what’s the big deal about Paleo? Why is everyone talking about The Paleo Diet? And why should I care? The Paleo Diet is quickly gaining popularity (and even unpopularity) in today’s health and fitness realm. I first learned of the Paleo Diet while participating in CrossFit, where Paleo runs rampant! But that was over 7 years ago and I’m still living the Paleo Lifestyle, so I guess there’s a method to the madness which works— but even more, there’s science behind the success! You can find tons of science and research materials in one convenient place, at Robbwolf.com. But if you just want a few of the important facts, keep reading.
I was a Paleo skeptic. Never eat cake, bread or cheese again? Ludacris! But now I’m a Paleo believer. For life. Perhaps it’s time you consider the benefits of living a Paleo lifestyle? Still on the fence? Well read on, dear friends …
1. The Paleo Diet is anti-inflammatory which results in numerous health benefits. Inflammation is the leading cause for several diseases and even premature aging. Did you hear that? You may have skipped right over the “diseases” part, but I hope you saw the words “premature aging”! Obviously, inflammation is a doozy of a health sucker. Chances are you already have some degree of inflammation — even if you have no symptoms. It’s a silent monster that keeps growing when left unattended and when it rears it’s ugly head, it’s usually a bigger deal than you’d like. Find more complete details on How Inflammation Affects Every Aspect of Your Health.
2. The Paleo Diet promotes healing. As you begin eating this nutrient dense, hunter-gatherer way, inflammation decreases and your body is able to begin to heal itself. Since your immune system no longer needs to work in overdrive to fight off inflammation, it begins to recover and be renewed by the delicious, nourishing foods on the Paleo program. I’m a walking testimony of this after battling breast cancer and managing Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis with the Paleo Lifestyle. More specifically, check out 8 Ways the Paleo Diet Can Heal Your Body.
3. The Paleo Diet can eliminate the need for prescription and OTC meds. You can find testimony after testimony of real people who were following a Paleo diet and were able to either reduce dramatically or get off their prescription meds altogether for thyroid issues, Rheumatoid Arthritis, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and more. If you totally want your mind blown, read how this Dr. reversed her MS and is no longer wheelchair bound in large part because of her modified Paleo diet protocol, called The Wahl’s Protocol.
4. The Paleo Diet is do-able — even on a limited budget! Just google “Paleo Diet on a Budget” and see for yourself! You’re probably already spending money on things that aren’t as important as your health. Hmmmm… like overpriced lattes, premium cable, cell phones/data plans, and such. It’s just a fact. So this objection might fall into more of an excuse, if we’re being honest with ourselves. I mean really — we all spend money on the things we truly want. So if you truly want to eat healthy and experience the benefits of a Paleo lifestyle, you will figure out a way to make it happen. My google search for Paleo on a budget just returned 2.46 million results so I’m guessing lots of people are eating Paleo on a budget. Right now. Go figure.
5. The Paleo Diet is not just for athletes. I mean it totally is for athletes and there are many tweaks you can make to the Paleo Diet to improve your performance, body comp and other things as an athletic competitor. But it isn’t JUST for athletes. From the individual on the couch thinking that working out might be a good idea to the person who started a fitness program after years of inactivity, eating and living Paleo benefits everyone.
6. The Paleo Diet promotes healthy gut — as opposed to leaky gut. Ew. “What the heck is leaky gut,” you ask? Leaky Gut is ew! It’s basically when little indigestible particles of food poke holes in your intestinal lining, allowing all kinds of foreign bodies to travel around inside your body where they don’t belong – causing gut permeability, inflammation and all around yuck in your body. Leaky gut leads to many different diseases – including all kinds of autoimmune diseases, so stay far, far away from leaky gut. Eat Paleo. Avoid leaky gut. It’s pretty simple, folks. But don’t take it from me, take it from Dr. Sarah Ballantyne, The Paleo Mom.
7. The Paleo Diet is not really a diet. Say what? Merriam-Webster defines “diet” as “to eat less food or to eat only particular kinds of food in order to lose weight.” That sounds pretty temporary to me. I mean, you can’t exactly go on losing weight for the rest of your life. Right? Pretty soon you would just disappear. Don’t get me wrong, the Paleo Lifestyle will lead to weight loss, but that’s small beans. The Big Picture is that you will gain health – physically and mentally – as a result of the Paleo Lifestyle. Becoming leaner is a bonus!
8. The Paleo Diet is actually a Lifestyle. dictionary.com defines “lifestyle” as “the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.” Did you get that? Habits. Habits are “an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary” according to dictionary.com. Not only that, but lifestyle is an attitude and it takes the right attitude to commit to anything – whether it’s Paleo or cheesecake. Habit. Attitude. Lifestyle. That’s what Paleo has become for me. And I’m not alone. I just did a search for “paleo is a lifestyle not a diet” and got 798,000 results.
9. The Paleo Diet is not meant to be a “one-size-fits-all” program. The same way not one of our bodies is created exactly alike, no one diet can be the answer for all. That’s why we recommend customizing the Paleo Diet to fit you, your lifestyle, your needs and your goals. We want you to discover your personal Paleo Spectrum! In order to be successful on any program, it must be personalized to you, a unique individual – and it must be doable for your life, not just 30 or 60 days.
10. The Paleo Diet is about real, whole foods and clean eating. It’s pretty simple. Eat lean, quality sources of protein, tons of veggies and fruits (aiming for organic when possible), and delicious fats like olives, coconut, avocados, some nuts and seeds and healthy oils. So you could actually call it The Real, Whole Food, Clean Eating Diet.
The big deal about Paleo is that it really is a big deal. So many people have benefitted from it, making it difficult to deny it’s benefits. And until you’ve given it a chance, you will never know how it could benefit you. Are you ready to see what living a Paleo lifestyle can do for you?
To Paleo… and Beyond!